Alibaba Group today announced financial results for the quarter ended March 31 and for the company’s 2016 fiscal year. The quarterly highlights can be found in the infographic and summary below. To read Alibaba Group’s press release covering the results in greater detail, click here.
Summary of results from Alibaba Group:
- It was a strong quarter and fiscal year for Alibaba.
- Robust and accelerating revenue growth reflects the strength of our core e-commerce business despite challenging economic conditions.
- We have a balanced portfolio of businesses including mobile media and cloud computing, which are gaining momentum and present future growth opportunities.
Strong and accelerating revenue growth:
- Revenue was RMB 24,184 million (US$3,751 million), an increase of 39% year-over-year and the highest growth rate over the past four quarters.
- China retail marketplaces revenue was RMB18,340 million (US$2,844 million), an increase of 41% year-over-year and highest growth rate in the past six quarters.
- Mobile revenue was RMB13,084 million (US$2,029 million), an increase of 149% year-over-year.
- Cloud computing business achieved accelerating growth with revenue increasing 175% year-over-year to RMB1,066 million (US$165 million) and more than 500,000 paying customers.
- We achieved strong growth in GMV from our China retail marketplaces. GMV was RMB742 billion (US$115 billion), an absolute increase of RMB142 billion (US$22 billion), or 24% year-over-year.
- Annual active buyers on our China retail marketplaces increased to 423 million, up from 407 million in the 12 months ended December 31, 2015 and compared to 350 million in the 12 months ended March 31, 2015, representing a 21% YoY increase.
- Mobile MAUs grew to 410 million in month ended March 31, 2016 compared to 393 million in the month ended December 31, 2015 and 289 million in the month ended March 31, 2015, representing a YoY increase of 42%.
- 71% of China commerce retail revenue was generated through mobile, up from 40% in the same quarter 2015.
- 73% of GMV came from mobile devices, up from 51% in the same quarter 2015.
- We see a continued upward trend in monetizing our user base with annual China retail revenue per annual active buyer reaching RMB189 (US$29) and annual China retail mobile revenue per mobile MAU reaching RMB123 (US$19).