Alibaba Group today announced financial results for its fiscal first quarter ended June 30, 2016. The highlights can be found below in an infographic and in a summary from the company. To read Alibaba Group’s press release covering the results in greater detail, click here.
Here’s a summary of the results from Alibaba Group:
- Revenue grew 59% YoY to US$4.8 billion, the highest growth rates since the IPO and beating consensus.
- Non-GAAP diluted EPS was US$0.74, growing 33% YoY, strong beat vs. consensus.
- Our strong results demonstrate the unrivaled strength of our core commerce business, as well as accelerating traction from our cloud computing and digital media and entertainment businesses.
- The acceleration of our revenue reflects the deep value proposition we offer our customers. We are changing the way our 434 million active buyers engage with our platforms through social sharing, communities and personalization driven by smart data on our e-commerce marketplaces.
- We passed an important milestone in achieving higher monetization of mobile users than non-mobile users.
- New segmental financial reporting reflects how we manage our business to maximize efficiency in allocating resources and will help investors understand the full value of the company.
- China commerce retail revenue grew 49% primarily due to robust growth in online marketing service revenue, the highest growth rate since the IPO.
- Our core commerce segment (which includes China and international retail and wholesale marketplaces) is highly profitable generating US$2.5 billion in adjusted EBITA, and 61% adjusted EBITA margin.
- China retail revenue growth is outpacing GMV growth (49% revenue growth compared to 24% GMV growth) demonstrating the value we bring to brands and merchants beyond transactions.
User growth & engagement:
- Annual active buyers increased to 434 million, up 18% YoY.
- Mobile MAUs in June reached 427 million, up 39% YoY.
- Revenue per annual active buyer is US$30 and mobile revenue per mobile MAU is $US21.
- During June quarter, daily active users launched the Taobao App on average of seven times a day and users posted more than 20 million reviews and comments a day.
- Mobile monetization rates are now exceeding non-mobile monetization rates.
- Mobile revenue increased 119% YoY, accounting for 75% to total China commerce retail revenue, compared to 51% last year.
- Cloud computing revenue grew 156% YoY
- Paying customers grew to almost 577,000, more than doubling YoY.
Digital Media and Entertainment
- Revenue up 286% YoY from this segment which includes UCWeb, Youku Tudou, OTT TV service, Alibaba Music and Alibaba Sports.
- UCWeb is now one of the world’s top three mobile browsers, with more than 420 million MAUs in June.