Alibaba Group today announcedfinancial results for its fiscalthird quarter endedDec. 31, 2016. The highlights can be found below in an infographic and in a summary from the company. To read Alibaba Group’s press release covering the results in greater detail, click here.
- Blowout quarter. Strong beat from top to bottom demonstrating strength of Chinese consumer and Alibaba’s ability to create value across the ecosystem.
- EPS beat consensus by 17%.
- Robust total revenue growth of 54% YoY with strong growth coming from each of our reporting segments.
- Raised FY2017 revenue guidance from 48% to 53%. For comparison, FY2016’s revenue growth was 33%. This is an acceleration of growth on a bigger base.
- Strong beat on non-GAAP diluted EPS of US$1.30, up 38% YoY.
- Total revenue growth of 54% YoY to US$7.7 billion.
- Strong Core Commerce revenue growth of 45% YoY to US$6.7 billion.
- Triple-digit YoY revenue growth in Cloud Computing and Digital Media & Entertainment.
- Highly profitable Core Commerce segment, generating US$4.3 billion in adjusted EBITA and 64% adjusted EBITA margin.
- Strong free cash flow of US$4.9 billion enabling investment in growth globally across cloud, digital media and entertainment and innovation initiatives as well as core commerce.
Continued Strong Performance of Core Commerce
- Mobile revenue increased 73% YoY, accounting for 80% of China commerce retail revenue, compared to 65% of China commerce retail revenue in the same quarter of 2015.
User growthand engagement
- Mobile MAUs on China retail marketplaces reached 493 million, up 25% YoY, driven by efforts to provide highly relevant and engaging content to increase user engagement on mobile.
- Annual active buyers on China retail marketplaces reached 443 million, up 9% YoY.
- China commerce retail revenue per annual active buyer increased to US$35, up from US$32 in the prior quarter.
- Annual mobile revenue per mobile MAU increased to US$24, up from US$23 in the prior quarter.
Rapid Growth of Cloud Computing
- Cloud computing revenue grew 115% YoY to US$254 million.
- Paying customers grew to 765,000 from 651,000 in the previous quarter.
Growing Traction of Digital Media and Entertainment
- Revenue was up 273% YoY to US$585 million primarily due to consolidation of Youku Tudou and increase in revenue from mobile services provided by UCWeb, such as search, news feeds and game publishing.