Alibaba Group today announcedfinancial results for the quarter ended March 31, 2019, and fiscal year 2019. Highlights can be found in the summary and infographic below. To read Alibaba Group’s press release covering the results in greater detail, click here.
March Quarter Financial Review
- Total revenue was up 51% YoY to RMB93.5 billion (US$13.9 billion).
- Adjusted EBITDA was up 29% YoY to RMB25.2 billion (US$3.8 billion).
- Marketplace-based core commerce adjusted EBITA grew 38% YoY to RMB34.7 billion (US$5.2 billion).
- Net income attributable to ordinary shareholders was RMB25.8 billion (US$3.8 billion), up 242% YoY primarily due to increase in fair value of listed equity investments and a non-cash gain from revaluation of previously held equity interest in Alibaba Pictures.
- Diluted EPS of RMB9.84 (US$1.47)
- Non-GAAP free cash flow was RMB10.7 billion (US$1.6 billion).
Robust User Growth and Engagement Across Ecosystem
- Mobile MAUs reached 721 million, an increase of 22 million over December 2018.
- Annual active consumers reached 654 million, up 18 million over the 12 months ended Dec. 31, 2018.
Extending Core Marketplace Leadership (Taobao & Tmall)
- Core commerce revenue grew 54% YoY for the March quarter.
- Tmall continued to gain wallet share and grow faster than the sector average, with Tmall paid physical goods GMV up 33% YoY.
- Tmall extended its leadership position as the consumer experience and distribution platform of choice in China for global brands, with over 100 luxury brands on the Tmall Luxury Pavilion, including new brands like Alexander McQueen and Mulberry joining the Luxury Pavilion as well as opening Tmall flagship stores.
New Retail Redefining the Future of Brick-and-Mortar Retailing
- Enabled on-demand delivery of Starbucks from more than 2,100 stores across 35 cities in China as of the end of April 2019.
- Proprietary grocery retail chain Freshippo (known as “Hema” in Chinese) expanded to 135 self-operated stores; continued to achieve robust same-store sales growth and expand footprint.
Local Consumer Services Leveraging Ecosystem Synergies
- Alibaba ecosystem continues to deliver significant synergies, with approximately 30% of Ele.me platform orders generated from the Alipay and Taobao apps.
Robust Growth in Cloud Computing
- Cloud revenue grew 76% YoY to RMB7.7 billion (US$1.2 billion) for the March quarter, driven by increased average spending per customer.
- In fiscal 2019, more than half of A-share listed companies in China were Alibaba Cloud customers.
Continued Momentum in Digital Media and Entertainment
- Digital Media and Entertainment revenue grew to RMB5.7 billion (US$845 million) for the March quarter.
- Youku’s daily average subscribers continue to grow, increasing approximately 50% YoY for the March quarter and 88% YoY for fiscal year 2019.
Full Fiscal Year Financial Review
- Total revenue was RMB376.8 billion (US$56.2 billion), up 51% YoY.
- Marketplace-based core commerce adjusted EBITA grew 31% YoY to RMB161.6 billion (US$24.1 billion).
- Net income attributable to ordinary shareholders was RMB87.6 billion (US$13.1 billion).
- Non-GAAP free cash flow was RMB104.5 billion (US$15.6 billion).
- Full-year GMV was RMB5.7 trillion (US$853 billion), up 19% YoY.
Below is an infographic with fourth-quarter highlights: