Alibaba Group encouraged Chinese consumers to buy more stuff from international merchants during its just-ended 11.11 Global Shopping Festival,but the e-commerce giant also sought to make the 24-hour online sale more global by drawingbargain-hunters from all over the world via AliExpress, the company’s international B2C marketplace.
Following the close of its 11.11 sale, AliExpress today hadsolidnumbers to report. The marketplace, which provides China-based merchants and manufacturers with an onlineplatform to sell directly to countries including the U.S. and Russia,said it processed 21.2 millionpaid orders during the sale, more than triple the 6.8 million orders processed during the 11.11 festival last year.
Here’s a rundownof other AliExpress metrics from 11.11.
- Consumers from 212 countries and regions placed orders in the 24-hour period.
- The top 10 countries ranked by total spending (GMV) were Russia, Spain, the U.S., Israel, Ukraine, Belarus, France, Chile, the U.K., and Canada.
- Mobile GMV accounted for 40 percent of total GMV. (AliExpress did not disclose total GMV.)
- The AliExpressmobile appfor iPhones was the most popular way to place ordersin 75 countries during the sale. The AliExpress mobile app for Android was the most popular in 46 countries.
- In Russia, Spain and Israel, the AliExpress app was the most popular shopping app at both the Apple Store andat Google Play.
- Ranked by GMV, the most popular product categories wereappareland accessories; phonesand telecommunications; jewelryand watches; consumer electronics; homeand garden; sportsand entertainment;computerand office; motherand kids; beautyand health; automobilesand motorcycles.
- In Russia the top five product categories were appareland accessories; phonesand telecommunications; homeand garden; consumer electronics; beautyand health.
- In Spain the top five product categories were appareland accessories; phonesand telecommunications; sportsand entertainment; consumer electronics; jewelryand watches.
- In the U.S. the top five product categories were appareland accessories; haircare andaccessories; jewelryand watches; sportsand entertainment; homeand garden.