Alibaba Cloud has released a suite of cloud-computing products, ranging from server-less computing and data analytics to networking, storage and database management, to the international market – products that were previously available only to clients in China.
According to an announcement on Monday, which came during the annual Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Spain, the products are accessible to any number of industry sectors, allowing businesses turn analytics into actionable insights to accelerate their growth.
“We believe in a virtuous cycle of building world-class infrastructure, deploying intelligent applications on that architecture, and using real-time analytics to make data-driven decisions,” said Yeming Wang, Alibaba Cloud’s general manager for Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
Alibaba Cloud emphasized the idea of “intelligent business,” saying that companies of all kinds, from global enterprises and to internet startups, need to be able to draw insights from data and make smart business decisions quickly to keep pace with their respective industries. But they often face challenges managing and analyzing that data at scale in addition to processing real-time streaming data. The products being released were created to address these issues, the company said.
The analytics products included:
- Real Time Compute: Can process millions of events per second and supports real-time decision making, such as for fraud detection, social analytics and quality-of-service monitoring of telecommunications networks.
- DataWorks and MaxCompute 2.0: Manage and analyze, up to 100 petabytes a day.
- Data Lake Analytics: Allows for the easily query of petabytes of data, without the use of servers, with standard SQL. Customers pay only for the amount of data scanned.
The infrastructure products were:
- ApsaraDB for MariaDB TX: The first enterprise-grade MariaDB database product, ApsaraDB for MariaDB TX is compatible with Oracle and is tailored for the high audit requirements seen in industries such as finance.
- SQL Server Always On: Deploys disaster-recovery plans.
- Cloud Parallel File System: A file-storage system that supports businesses with computing-intensive requirements, such as artificial intelligence, machine learning, high-performance computing and meteorological analysis.
- Elastic Container Instance: A pay-per-use service that allows businesses to leverage containers without having to manage servers.
- Global Connection Solution: Reduces loading times for web-based services, which is important for businesses with operations in different international locations.
The products were first created to serve Alibaba Group, Alibaba Cloud’s parent company, and its business units operating in the retail, finance, logistics and media and entertainment sectors before being offered to domestic clients.
“We are keen to turn our proven in-house technology into broadly applicable services and pass the benefits on to customers globally so they can quickly build applications on top, such as for 5G, edge computing and IOT, and shorten the time-to-market,” said Henry Zhang, senior product manager of Alibaba Cloud International.